CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Day 24 -- Santa Claus


Tonight I am heading to a Christmas Eve Party at some dear friends’ house.  There will be a brood of children and inevitably the topic of Santa Claus will come up.  Some of the children are old enough to have figured out the whole story on Santa – but there will be others who are still in the dark about this trick parents have played on their children for years.  I am ambivalent on kids believing in Santa, mind you I know passions run deep on both sides of the table, but am most aware of it when I am in proximity of children who are talking of putting out plates of cookies for Santa.  Those cookies will be consumed by mom and dad within minutes of the children going to bed, right? 

Worse yet, I have a friend whose mom still gives he and his ADULT siblings gifts allegedly from Santa.  Come on, the jig is up, they know there is no real Santa, and the truth is the gifts are all from their mother. She might as well throw in a few presents from Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph the Red nose Reindeer while she is at it.

Maybe somewhere inside me there is the resentment for having been duped by this whole Santa thing as a child.  I put out plates of cookies, wrote letters and on one Christmas in particular called a 976 number many times to talk to Santa.  I think it was around that time I realized the whole thing was a sham – not because the message from Santa seemed canned to me but instead because my parents were very upset by all of the charges. Charges, why would Santa whose budget is seemingly limitless charge children to call him?  Hmmm.  

1 comments:

Catherine said...

Ha - I think I may have been with you when we called the 976 number for Santa. I also think we might have accidentally called the wrong type of 976 number a few times, if you know what I mean.