CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Day Four -- Paychecks, Communes & Bathrooms

Part One: Paychecks, Communes & Bathrooms

I wish I could remember this beautiful Frederick Buechner quote (perhaps a project for me to tackle tomorrow) that goes like one’s vocation ought to be the intersection of human need and I forget what. Maybe if I could remember the quote more clearly I’d have a better handle on a new career path. I’ve also heard one ought to do a job they would do even if they weren’t getting paid. While although this seems like a good aspiration, I am doubtful it would work for everyone. Is there really one out there who would empty septic tanks if they weren’t getting paid?

As I think about those things I would do regardless of receiving of a paycheck, it seems very likely I will end up on the same sorts of career paths I have more or less traveled landing me smack in the middle of the non-profit/charitable orb. And I can’t help but wonder if these types of agencies would be better suited by volunteers versus employees who tend to raise overhead? Is it okay I am pursuing my passions as a volunteer while meanwhile earning a paycheck doing something completely different? Would I come to resent the paycheck job all the while regretting I wasn’t able to do my volunteer work as a career?

What if I didn’t need a paycheck? What if I joined a commune? I’ve visited a sort of modern-day commune (Church of the Sojourners) and while the members’ collective commitment to one another and to living an almost ascetic life is beautiful, I am not sure I am cut out for it. In the end I need my own bathroom which seems like a bit of a rarity in commune life.

ParPart Two: Wednesday’s Activities

  • ·Took a walk in my neighborhood while listening to NPR’s This American Life
  • Perused the newspaper and took a stab at the crossword
  • Made a ham & cheese omelet
  • Walked to Old Town Pasadena with Sharon, hung out at One Pasadena
  • Went to Barnes & Noble’s to look up character’s name in I Know this Much is True
  • Met up with Stacy in Old Town, went to Vietnamese food but I didn’t eat because I already had the aforementioned omelet
  • Returned to One Pasadena, read a few chapters of The Hour I First Believed
  • Went to Stacy’s house where she made me frozen lemon chicken rolls from Trader Joe’s
  • Came home, made a cup of tea and worked on blog
  • Went to grocery store to buy items for Thursday’s dinner party
  • Made pumpkin pie using Christy’s recipe
  • Had phone date with Danielle
  • Watched The Daily Show where guest Arianna Huffington ironically suggested unemployed people should start a blog
  • Figured out how to use Google reader
  • Read more of The Hour I First Believed

1 comments:

Stacy said...

I think the quote goes something like "your calling is where your greatest passion meets the world's greatest need."