CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 2, 2009

Day 33, Donate Life


In honor of this being my thirty-third post, I would like to dedicate it to my thirty-three year old friend, Stacy as the number holds much significance for her. 

Yesterday as the world’s eyes were on Pasadena and amid my marathon double hitter of going to both the Rose Parade and Rose Bowl; there were moments when I felt like the entire world was actually in Pasadena.  However, instead of reflecting on the festivities, USC third consecutive Rose Bowl win in particular, I would like to go in a different direction. 

My father and I have sat in the same Rose Parade grandstand for the past few years.  Last year, unbeknownst to us, we were seated among the Donate Life organization.  Without exaggeration, we have been the only non Donate Life people in the bleachers.  I knew very little about this organization prior to us sharing New Year’s Day together for two years running, but have since done a bit of homework, still by no means a member or a expert.

http://www.donatelifefloat.org/prod/components/

Donate Life exists to promote organ donation.  Their float in the Rose Parade, among other aspects of the organization, pays tribute to those who have donated organs – in many cases upon their deaths.  This year’s float featured pictures of organ donors, again most if not all of them deceased, fashioned in the shape of stars.  Many of those in the bleachers had not only Donate Life shirts but also carried pictures of their loved ones.

It is very sobering to sit among so many who are unified by the death of a loved one.  At the actual moment the float past, my eyes flooded with tears as it did last year.  I was happy, sad and honored to ring in the New Year with those, who despite the pain of their loss, are rallying together to bring healing and promote awareness.  There was an authentic, raw, honest fellowship in that grandstand that I imagine wouldn’t be dissimilar to that of a recovery group and I was very blessed to be part of just for a few minutes. 

The Donate Life group reminds me that 2008 unfolded quite differently for everyone.  Some married, some buried, some bore life, some tackled new adventures, some moved to Kuala Lumpur, some divorced, some fell in love, some bought houses, some lost fortunes, some traveled the ocean blue, some received accolades, some came home, some got clean and some, perhaps myself included,  were caught in the middle of the spectrum of human emotions hopefully expecting. 

It might be easier to cruise through life oblivious to the majestic power and often rapture of the human experience.  Instead of tackling the depths, we’d rather talk about the weather or the game.  But I wonder what my life would be like if I could bottle even a dose of the Donate Life group’s authenticity and take it every morning?  Would I be as quick to dismiss the waitress who is giving me terrible service?  Or the driver who just cut me off?  The Donate Life people were easy to pick out, but how often does my life intersect with those who have born witness to great loss and I am insensitive to their experience? 

2 comments:

Cafe Observer said...

J, looks like you viewed the parade near Starbucks!! (Coffee drinker?) Nice shot.

In this time of making resolutions, I think one resolution for the world in general would be to have more of an attitude of gratitude.

And, I'm still grateful for your "sacrifice" 2 go 2 de SC pep rally "4 me!"

unemployed one said...

good eye....our seats were closer to the yard house. trust me no sacrifice to go to the pep rally.