CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, January 31, 2009

Day 62 -- Glory Days



First confession, I did not post yesterday as I was in Big Bear skiing for the first time since 2002 (.  But missing two days in the last two months is still a blogging pace I am very proud of and not sure I can keep when my new job starts. 

My older brother taught me to ski when I was a child and it is a bit like riding a bicycle – you never really forget.  In college, some other friends and I often went skiing.  Back in the day, I considered myself an above average skier routinely handling black diamonds and blue runs. 

Fast forward to yesterday where I faced head on the true fact that my glory days of skiing were well behind me.  I went with three other friends, one of whom was a very aggressive and adventurous skier (incidentally a marine about to be deployed so I hoped all day he would break a leg).  I kept up with them for a while but when they drug me on a black diamond run, I realized it was far more work than fun.  At that point we parted ways for a bit. 

I confess, I skied on the bunny slopes for a bit to reacclimate myself with the sport.  After lunch, I hung with my snowboarding friend on some blue runs (pathetically, we actually skied the same run over and over for a few hours).  I kept up OK with her until we met up with the rest of our foursome at which time my lower ski level was painfully apparent. 

On the plus side, I never fell the whole day.  Well, I fell once but it was embarrassingly getting onto the ski lift.  In my defense my friend and were sort of between the chairs and she decided to pull back.  I couldn’t really make in time and the chair knocked me over.  They had to stop the whole lift which I don’t even think happened to me when I was a little kid skiing. 

So now, I can relate to the Bruce Springsteen song “Glory Days,” except instead of a failed baseball career for me it will be my lost ski prowess.  Oh how I wanted to call my friends from college who I used to go skiing with so they could testify to my “Glory Days.”  Second Confession:  I thought the song “Glory Days” was John Cougar Mellencamp I’ve always mixed those two up for some reason.  

1 comments:

Cafe Pasadena said...

J, all is 4given. Once you're employed, blogging once a week should be fine.

I've never understood the skiing addiction. How can one be any good, or have any fun, at something you do only a couple of days a year?? Often in freezing cold. It's seems to be at least as stressful as "fun."

But, congrats for not giving up, or as Springsteen would say, "No Surrender!"