CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Day 38 – Slumdog Millionaire



Just got back from seeing Slumdog Millionaire and I think everyone everywhere should see it.  If you have not seen it stop reading my stupid blog and go see it right now.  Leave work (really working is over rated anyways), skip dinner, skip drinks, and skip whatever else you might be doing instead of watching Slumdog Millionaire. 

I have seen four of the five Golden Globe best picture nominees and as my friend and fellow blogger Catherine said it is hands down the best – the pick of the litter if you will.  While although I loved The Reader, Revolutionary Road and most especially The Curious Case of Benjamin Button; Slumdog has it all.  It has the full range of human emotions – the classic case of good prevailing in the end, the underdog (and in this case the slumdog) over coming insurmountable odds and for the romantic in all of us the boy gets the girl.  There is even a nod to Bollywood for good measure.    Just what someone who recently submitted an application to wait tables (yes, friends it has come to this – did I mention I have a Masters degree?) needed to feel good about life. 

I don’t at all pretend to understand what it is like to grow up in abject poverty but working in skid row for four years, doing relief work in the second largest slum in Africa for a few weeks (Kibera, Kenya) and traveling to one of the poorest countries in the world (Burma/Myanmar) as crazy as it might seem I am glad I have learned from firsthand experience what poverty is like.  I hope Slumdog Millionaire might draw attention to the plight of the urban poor most especially it’s children.  

8 comments:

Red Headed Mama said...

Do you babysit in the Bay Area? Cause I want to go see it! However, the 2-year-old seems to keep me from getting there :)

unemployed one said...

if you are offering to fly me up...sure. what else am i doing?

Cafe Observer said...

Hey, J, if you're good with people, in the right restaurant, you can do well as a waitress.

Good service, with a smile, is in short supply.
You can then add a Master of Waitressing to your resume.

Adam said...

Danny Boyle is an amazing director, I think I've seen everything by him except this new movie.

Of course, I need money to see a movie, so...

unemployed one said...

adam don't let money stand in the way from you seeing this movie. you can do what i did and barter your way in; i made my friend dinner and she bought my movie ticket. or you could sneak in but i guess that is unethical/illegal. how is the job hunting going for you?

Anonymous said...

I think it's a good movie, too, but a little rain on your Slumdog parade: the movie sure makes you feel good about the Mumbai slums by the end, don't it?

We're all warm and fuzzy and singing Bollywood style while there are still little blinded boys singing in the subway.

I'm just sayin'

D.

unemployed one said...

yes, while we are singing bollywood there are still blind boys singing but maybe the movie might draw attention to their plight. maybe. maybe. maybe.

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!