CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Day 56 – Guatemala



Tonight I went over to a friends’ house where another guest, who I will call Juan, was booking a flight to Guatemala.  I visited with my friends not paying much attention to the specifics of Juan’s travels.  Juan finished his business and we were off to dinner.  He told us his flight left at 11:34.  Tomorrow, we asked.  No, tonight.  You can’t go to dinner with us, you’ve got to go pack and get to the airport.  He paused to consider and opted to not join us for dinner.   

We lingered for a bit longer and I said something flippant to the effect, I want to go to Guatemala.  Well let’s go upstairs and book you a flight, Juan suggested.  How long are you staying?  Juan’s travel plans revolve around his brother’s tennis schedule.  This trip was no exception, he was in fact only going to stay for two days if his brother lost.  If, however his brother wins, John will stay most of next week. 

Hmmm, when is his first match?  Tomorrow at 10AM.  So you will know by midday if you will leave Tuesday or later in the week.  Yes.  Hmmm, I do have an appointment to take an exam for a position at Pasadena Unified School District tomorrow and the final (I hope) interview for the job I will most likely take Tuesday morning.  So, Juan interjected, you could make the 1pm flight Tuesday and join my family in Guatemala.  He listed off many specific things we could do as he has traveled there many times.  He also said he was staying in a 5 star hotel.  He said I could book a flight for under $300. 

Mind you, in spite of my unemployment, I do have a number of “commitments” scheduled for this week but when else in my life will I have a chance to fly off to Guatemala at a moment’s notice?  So if Juan’s brother wins his match tomorrow, I might do just that

1 comments:

Kathy H said...

Good for you!! That sounds like fun, and it's the kind of thing you can't do if you have too many other commitments. Live life to the fullest!!

Can I come? Just (sort of) kidding. Maybe I'll be able to do that sort of thing once my kids graduate in a few years...