CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Day 52 – Letters of Reference



I am in the process of applying for an international humanitarian aid organization which requires professional references (and don’t worry it based here in LA).  While although this isn’t terribly unexpected, I had to dig up old supervisor and ask the question would you be a reference.  I realize this is a formality and in most cases most agencies don’t even check (or require references) but as someone was not informed they had been listed as a reference and got an out of the blue phone call, it is certainly good form to get the OK before one gives out another’s information. 

Save for one job, for the most part I have left on good terms with all of my old employers, so I certainly didn’t expect anyone to say no.  But what I didn’t expect was the very affirming words I received from former employers.  Here is a quote from an old boss –

“I would be happy to be a reference for you. We think you are fabulous! I wish I had an opening for you.”

The others were just as glowing, one in particular who has relocated to Colorado, often tries to get me to work for him. Just when I thought I was un-hirable and un-marketable.  The other news to report is that in the new era of Hope and Change, I have a fourth interview with an agency I am very hopeful about tomorrow.  And I heard back from Pasadena Unified School District (who I am told is notorious about taking forever to get back to people) and have an appointment Monday for a position in their after-school program.  

0 comments: