CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 22, 2009

day 53 -- fishy


Some months ago I inherited exactly one red beta fish who I affectionately refer to as “Fishy.”  Fishy’s real caretaker was a (former) co-worker of mine whose relocation to Wisconsin pragmatically couldn’t include Fishy.  Fishy has already more than outlived the average lifespan for a beta fish and not to be sadistic but almost daily I expect to find Fishy dead.  There was a very long stint when Fishy seemed to be somewhat lethargic and sickly but recently he has resurged.  He is more active in his little bowl and his appetite has returned whereas before he just sort of floated, barely moving and when I fed him he just watched the little flakes I dropped in his bowl fall into the rocks.  He hates it when I clean his bowl/give him a bath – it is obviously very agitating for him when he has is confined to the little cup my friend gave me for the explicit purpose of storing him when his bowl is cleaned. 

Admittedly, Fishy and I are unlikely companions but I believe there to be a kinship between us.  When I am near his bowl he often makes eye-contact with me and I have no doubt he knows me.  in the lonely journey of unemployment, I am grateful for the company and I admit in the very likely event Fishy passes in the next few months, I will be very sad.  Not sad enough, however, to get another fish.  I guess I am just a one fish woman.  

0 comments: