CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 16, 2009

Day 47 -- The Job Search


My interview this morning did not go well – I would be shocked if I were offered the job.  For starters, I was expecting to be interviewed by a very specific person who a friend had briefed me on.  Instead, the co-owner of the restaurant, a somewhat gruff woman I’d guess to be in her late forties conducted the forty-five minute ordeal barely making an eye contact.  We ended up talking about homelessness for a long time as well as her point blank asking me what theology was.  Not a good sign for someone with a theology degree.  She did seem impressed with my knowledge of the product/restaurant faire but was quick to remind me she had a stack of applications to get through.  I believe this to be code for don’t hold your breath.   I also believe she quite rightly surmised me to be someone wanting to wait tables until something better came along. 

In forty-seven days, I have applied for twelve different jobs only hearing back from three.  Today was my second interview and I have a third (follow-up) one pending which has unfortunately been pending for one month.  There again, I am neither holding my breath nor putting all of my eggs in that basket.  I know these percentages aren’t as discouraging as I am making them out to be – I know I need to increase the amount of jobs I apply for and expect delays in responses.  But I feel very cynical about sending out yet another cut and pasted draft of my cover letter and résumé to some person whose in box is likely filled with people are in fact “uniquely qualified for position…” as my cover letter asserts. 

On a lighter note, yesterday I met former Arizona Wildcat Luke Walton (I hear he plays for the Lakers these days).  And Mark Sanchez if you want to leave USC early it is perhaps divine retribution you will likely end up in – DETROIT.  Don’t let the door hit you on your way out.   Also, I am proud to report I am now third in Tetris (my newest addiction) among my friends on Facebook.   Perhaps, with some diligence and persistence I can work my way up to #1 sometime soon. Dare to Dream.  

3 comments:

Cafe Observer said...

It's good to know you're good at Tetanus, or is it Tetris,...bcuz getting hired is a game.

Anonymous said...

Excellent photo. Good job interview description - I felt I was going thru it myself.
The only way I've gotten my jobs as an adult has been thru contacts...getting that foot in the door, getting someone vouching/rooting for you even if they are not in a position to hire. Any other Wildcats with job offers around?
Ahhh, Tetris...I played so much a while ago, I finally junked it. I'm just hoping that my husband won't ban me from the computer cuz of my new obsession - blogging.

Cafe Observer said...

Tash, I knew you were Wild...but a cat as well? (C U 2morrow)

Well,y'alll know what we K9's think of cats.