CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 23, 2009

Day 54 -- update on job interview

The good news is it looks like I have a job (although, until I am filling out payroll paperwork I won’t count on it or believe it).  The bad news is the interview was fairly unprofessional causing me to have second thoughts.  Quick synopsis – this was interview number four and the primary reason for the delay was waiting for me to be able to interview with a new administrator in the organization who was touted as professional.  A few interesting things from the interview that demonstrated the administrator’s lack of professionalism:

(1) He asked me about my marital status and happiness related to that – the good news is that before I could answer, he went on to compare me to his single brother who he wrongly assumed to much older to me (in truth I was older than he although I took it as a compliment that he reversed our true age) and allegedly very content as a single person.  I am pretty sure asking somewhat about their marital status in an interview is illegal. 

(2) There were a number of items that he and the other woman in the interview who at this point I had met with THREE times weren’t on the same page about and it was somewhat uncomfortable to be in the room for them to discover the discrepancies.  For example – he broke from the standard interview form to ask her, “So we’ve done a background check on Jennifer, right.”  Awkward pause, “No,” she replies somewhat defeated.  There were a few other examples of things that he assumed she had covered that in the course of out meeting he discovered hadn’t.  Toward the end, Mr. Professional/Administrator said to the woman who is to be my boss (I think?), could we have a few minutes together after Jennifer leaves.  It felt like to me she got in trouble. Again, unnecessary to happen in front of me the interviewee. 

(3) Interruptions.  On two different occasions there were knocks on two doors both of which he answered. The first was a co-worker (who seemed to be perhaps the IT guy) who brought in some sort of smart phone/Blackberry giving him a diagnosis.  But after Mr. IT guy left, the administrator said he was not used to being interrupted in a meeting.  I am thinking – well, why did you answer the door?  But the woman launched into a bit of a jab at the IT guy.  The second knock on the door was his single brother.  Thankfully, there was no fix-up/introduction but he scrambled to find the door stop to which we suggested, just use the deadbolt.  “Oh…good idea.”  Very professional. 

He was quick to comment on my leadership ability (based mainly on the one question he asked me I suppose) predicted in the near future I would be a consultant for multiple organizations in multiple states.  Hmmm.  

4 comments:

pasadenapio said...

Get the job, deposit the paychecks, and then decide if you need to run away.

Cafe Observer said...

Jen, sounds like I'd have my doubts too.
Aside from that, if offered take it if you like the position. Like PIO Ann says: get some money coming in, & prepare for a possible short stay.

Now, if a german shepherd was gonna be your supervisor I'd say take that job 4 sure!

Anonymous said...

Is there anything else on the horizon? Can you stall these folks? Sounds to me like your intuition is sending out some pretty strong warning signals.

Stacy said...

I think given the nature of the work environment you are seeking, there will be a lot of unprofessionalism. Asking about your martial status is totally illegal and ridiculous. Perhaps try interviewing at "professional" institutions and compare. Maybe everywhere has inappropriate people. Or, maybe the "professional" interview will be off-putting to you in a different way. It's worrisome that these are your initial impressions given your complaints at past jobs. Are you walking into the same minefield? (Not that I'm saying don't take the job. It sounds like a great job. But, just think about what things you will have to overlook in order to be there happily).