CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Day 45 -- Beachside Lifestyles


Steve Lopez’s Column today featured a story about a Southern Californian woman who some twenty years ago went on vacation in the Cayman Islands and never returned.  She didn’t disappear but instead turned her intended six-week vacation into a new life.  Effectively, at 28, she reinvented herself finding a new address, a new occupation (real estate agent), a new friend circle and finally a new last name upon her marriage to one of her fellow ex-pats.   As an aside, the whole journey was prompted by a bad break up – I am picturing in my head Kerry Bradshaw’s Mexi-coma.  She claims no regrets and Mr. Lopez sounded jealous to say the least. 

Recently, I learned of a job opening through the Queensland Tourism looking for a sort of island caretaker who would “slave away” in a three bedroom Great Barrier Reef side condo complete with an infinity pool for six months their sole responsibility being maintaining a weekly blog on the experience.     The pay is $100,000!  As of yesterday, the company had already received 200,000 applications and rest assured I will include my application in the pile before the deadline passes.  This publicity stunt is being dubbed as “The Best Job in the World,” and as I have been trolling the internet for job postings, I have it on good authority that that is an accurate portrayal.

In light of both of these types of “jobs” I have silenced every irresponsible voice in my head and have decided to join a friend for a week- long vacation in Mexico next month.  Yes, this will probably extend my unemployment but maybe I will have an epiphany like the woman from Steve Lopez’s column or at the very least be better prepared for being offered the island caretaker gig.  Could you imagine?  

1 comments:

Stacy said...

Good luck on the $100K island job. I think you are qualified. But if that doesn't pan out, we should start looking for tix for the 1 week Mexico trip.